vim versus vim-tiny

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 12 07:23:18 BST 2006

Anyone knows what is different in vim-tiny versus the vim package?
I'm guessing the former is smaller than the later, thus it's presence
as the default installed package nowadays in Edgy.  But what else is
missing from it?

In the last few days I was really wondering  why my arrow keys didn't
work in vim in a gnome-console xterm in Edgy.   It got me swearing  a
few times while editing some files and when trying to move the cursor
around simply created some extra characters in the files instead of
actually moving the cursor.

Then tonight I decided to install "vim", which then redirected the
/usr/bin/vim command to the standard vim executable instead of the
"tiny" one, and a miracle occured:   my arrow keys are back :)

--
Daniel Robitaille