Edgy in the news

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Tue Oct 31 19:30:29 GMT 2006

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 09:51:23 -0800
Matt Zimmerman <mdz at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> > Umm - dist-upgrade is still a useful tool in certain contexts, especially
> > coupled with aptitude. Simply insisting on the update-manager strikes me as
> > rather unworkable anyway. Or is there a work-around for people whose X is
> > broken, or who are upgrading from a system without X or gnome etc ?
>
> It's useful for incremental upgrades, but using it for a complex upgrade to
> an entirely new release of Ubuntu is problematic by design.  It has to
> "guess" which packages to keep and which to remove, while Update Manager
> "knows" what's appropriate for the upgrade.

If this was true in practice, I would bow to your far greater knowledge
and expertise :-)

My experience was that the update-manager broke half way through an
upgrade to edgy, and that running a combination of aptitude dist-upgrade
(several repetitions in combinations that I can't now exactly recall), with
apt-get -f install and dpkg --configure -a rescued the situation.

I did have ubuntu-desktop etc. installed, but perhaps the presence of
xubuntu-desktop was a complicating factor, as your other post implies. I
agree with Derek, though, that having xubuntu-desktop installed as well as
ubuntu-desktop would be a fairly common and normal scenario.

While I'm sure the update manager is smart, it doesn't "know" quite enough
in certain cases, ( yet ) evidently.

Peter