Upgrading Ubuntu

Bill Cairns Bill.Cairns at eskom.co.za
Tue Oct 31 04:49:21 GMT 2006

NB: This email and its contents are subject to the Eskom Holdings Limited EMAIL LEGAL NOTICE
which can be viewed at http://www.eskom.co.za/email_legalnotice
Well thanks Baz - but I think you have re-inforced my point.

1. The upgrade path is not simple and straightforward.

2. The advice we get is often contradictory - the "recommended" method
seems to be - gksu "update-manager -c" and not your method outlined
below. Your method is pretty close to what I tried and which did not
work.

3. If something goes wrong, we newbie ignorami are stuck way up a creek
with no paddle. If I had been in your position (which I probably was - I
too had no desktop after the upgrade), I would not have known to
"apt-get install xserver-xorg". So what I did was re-install from
scratch.

I agree with the poster who suggested that it is usually better not to
upgrade but to re-install. (This is definitely true of Windows which
seldom upgrades cleanly!) The trouble is that re-installation does juct
not just imply reloading the operating system, it also means reloading
all one's other software and redoing all the little settings that one
has made to make the system comfortable. It is great that Ubuntu
releases every 6 months, and I usually want to kick the tyres of the new
features, but I don't want to spend all my time re-installing software.

Bill

On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 07:58 +0200, Bill Cairns wrote:
> NB: This email and its contents are subject to the Eskom Holdings
Limited EMAIL LEGAL NOTICE
> which can be viewed at http://www.eskom.co.za/email_legalnotice

> May I suggest that there is a huge gulf between those who know how
> upgrade from one version to another and those who don't?
>
> I belong to those that don't.

This is what I did and it worked for me.

1: Changed the apt sources file so it read, 'Edgy' not breezy on all
the
repositories. (found in etc/apt/

2. did apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, apt-get dist-upgrade (twice)

3. When I rebooted I had no desktop, due to the xserver being,
'forgot'
by the upgrade. So...

4. apt-get install xserver-xorg

5. reboot