Edgy in the news

Scott geekboy at angrykeyboarder.com
Mon Oct 30 06:34:41 GMT 2006

m c spake thusly on 10/29/2006 01:26 PM:
> On 10/29/06, Daniel Robitaille <robitaille at fastmail.fm> wrote:
>> The negative stories and blogs about Edgy are
>> starting to pile up:
>>

>> Upgrading to Ubuntu Edgy Eft a "Nightmare"
>> http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/06/10/28/239258.shtml
>>
>> Edgy upgrade pains and fixes
>> http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS3291004537.html
>
> Although it is very difficult to diagnose problems from blog and forum
> posts (hence the analysis below is probably wrong, incomplete and
> unhelpful) I think a large number of problems fall into the following
> categories:
>
> * Using apt-get dist-upgrade rather than upgrade-manager

Isn't upgrade manager using apt as a backend anyway?  Ubuntu is Debian
based and "dist-upgrade" is pretty standard stuff.  I much prefer that
to using a GUI for such a major undertaking (although I've yet to
upgrade. I tend to go with fresh installs).

> * Having unsupported programs and scripts run on Dapper, i.e.
> Automatix, compiz, etc

Automatix certainly isn't istalled as part of Ubuntu. It's not an Ubuntu
Package.

Compiz, is part of Ubuntu (in Universe):
http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/x11/compiz

>    - Could be improved by forcing people to use upgrade manager and
> making update manager identify specific problems then giving more
> verbose instructions on how to revert/work around changes made by
> these programs which are likely to result in a broken upgrade

That sounds like a good idea. Just as long as users aren't discourgaged
from doing an old fashioned "dist-upgrade".

> * Broken X on upgrade
>    - Some of these appear to be due to problems with api
> incompatibilities presumably from installing newer/older drivers from
> 3rd part repos or from not getting the newly name drivers (due to not
> using upgrade-manager?). Could these be potential problems be idenfied
> by upgrade manager?

I get newly updated drivers all the time from the Ubuntu archives via
apt.  That should not present anyone a problem any time. Period.

--
	Scott
www.angrykeyboarder.com