Freespire... (LOL)

Conrad Knauer atheoi at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 12:35:19 BST 2006

On 10/18/06, Chanchao <custom at freenet.de> wrote:

> I was one of the people who recently advocated Freespire and their
> policy of making MP3 and suchlike work 'out of the box'.
>
> I just downloaded and actually tried Freespire.
>
> LOL.
[...]
> * In Freespire, I didn't really get to testing MP3 because sound didn't
> work at all, period.
[...]
> Screen layout and look & feel is the usual KDE... (= a mess).
>
> Gave it somewhat of an attempt to get sound working, went into the
> control panel.. Only to have it crash after playing with the options.
>
> Then shut it down, with loads of error messages scrolling on screen.
>
> I'm not sure if this was a really sad or a really funny experience, but
> an operating system it was not.

Well of course not; it obviously didn't work right because it was
modelled after Windows! ;-)

O:)

Joking aside, I don't think your experience necessarily detracts from
your original point, which is to say that you feel that most people
want MP3 (etc.) support out of the box, it just prioritizes it behind
hardware support; if Linspire based its distro off of Ubuntu, you
likely would not have changed your mind...

CK