Ubuntu under investigation by Turkish attorney general

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Wed Nov 29 10:14:57 GMT 2006

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 17:59:20 +0800
"Senectus ." <senectus at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 29/11/06, Peter Garrett <peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 16:56:40 +0800
> > "Zak B. Elep" <zakame at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> >
> > > On 11/29/06, t u <towsonu2003 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Kurdish_operating_system_under_investigation_by_Turkish_attorney_general

> > > Why?  Is there some other `negative' context in this `investigation'?
> > > I've read that the attorney general is investigating on the `mayor of
> > > Sur and on Ubuntu;' are you insinuating that there has been some sort
> > > of illegal action taken by the mayor?
> >
> > Turkish policy on Kurdish language:
> >
> > http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~siamakr/Kurdish/KURDICA/1999/JUL/policy.html
> >

> > I think we can assume that the Turkish government takes a dim view of such
> > efforts. judging by the above link.
> >
> > Also see
> > http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/war/kurdistan-turkey.htm
> >

> > The definition of Ubuntu is perhaps lost on them.
>

> Whoa.... that's some nasty history
> I'd be very interested to see what the official Ubuntu stance is on this,
> it's a hell of a pickle.

I've been Googling a bit. It appears that there is *supposed*  to be a
change of policy in Turkey regarding Kurdish language - it would help to
know specifics about the "investigation" mentioned in the O.P.

The quote below is from

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/humanrights/publications/rn/rn_2006_3.htm

which appears to be dated this year:

" The process proves to be extremely challenging and unpredictable. Take
the example of language rights, which were recently granted to the Kurdish
minority. While falling far short of international standards and
insufficient to meet the demands of many Kurds for education in their
mother tongue, the enactment of a law that allows private courses to teach
Kurdish is a significant step forward in a country where the utterance of
a Kurdish word in public was prohibited until 1991. Yet this elementary
move of granting Kurds limited cultural rights has faced a strong
resistance by bureaucrats who use imaginative ways to wield their power to
curtail the fulfilment of these rights. While the extent of the
government's commitment to recognize, respect and protect minority
cultures is debatable in the absence of an express commitment towards that
end, the boldness of the Kurdish language law is irrefutable in light of
previous state policies, which were based on homogenizing minority
cultures."

Peter