Oops, re aptitude : was [Re: Edgy in the news]

Tristan Wibberley maihem at maihem.org
Sat Nov 25 13:08:44 GMT 2006

Eric Dunbar wrote:

> I like the notion of "open" development of documentation but I don't
> _trust_ it because of a lack of accountability (i.e. someone's
> responsible for avoiding major snafus like providing an upgrade path
> that shouldn't be followed without caveats)!

The problem is that accountability costs money. Accountability is only
one way to decide how much to trust a statement, and that trust is
derived through the application of stress and fear of shame (hence its
financial cost). What is needed is a trust framework (which only costs
money to set up) and doesn't require the application of fear in order to
maintain a corpus whose value can be assessed by the reader.

--
Tristan Wibberley - "it" is the preferred noun of an abated intellect.

These opinions are my own, and do not reflect those of my employer.