User paid to uninstall Windows XP

Cefiar cef at optus.net
Thu Nov 16 22:25:23 GMT 2006

On Thursday 16 November 2006 21:13, Scott wrote:
> Nikolai spake thusly on 11/15/2006 12:13 AM:
> > Since a lot of people on this list buy laptops, I think this article can
> > inspire some to let know laptop manufactures that the world of laptop
> > computing does not revolve around MS Windows, not anymore anyway (a BBC
> > article via Digg):
> >
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6144782.stm
>
> "While many PCs are now sold with a customer's choice of operating
> system installed, no laptop-makers yet offer the option of anything but
> Windows, said Mr Mitchell."
>
> He needs to get out more.

And of course Apple, as MacOSX is most definitely not Windows.

Can't even use the PPC line on that, since they now use Intel chips. Of course
he still has to pay for an OS, just not Windows.

I personally think this needs to be restated that very few laptop makers (or
none based in England? - please prove me wrong on this) ship machines with
Linux, Freedos or No OS installed. Instead they ship with a proprietary OS
like Windows or MacOSX preinstalled and bundled as part of the cost of the
device.

 Stuart Young - aka Cefiar - cef at optus.net