Fwd: [GNU/FSF Press] Press release: FSF announces release of gNewSense 1.0

Alexander Jacob Tsykin stsykin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 02:30:07 GMT 2006

On Wednesday 08 November 2006 04:19, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Alexander Jacob Tsykin wrote:
> > You will never hear me say that non-free software is inherently evil.
> > But, in any case, unless software is explicitly distributed under a free
> > license, such as the GPL, it is non-free.
> No.  It's not distributed.  That's not the same thing.  If it isn't
> distributed, and you have a copy, it's _stolen_.  The whole question of
> license freedom doesn't come up.
Unless it isn't distributed, but you are the one who made it, in which case it
is simply oen type of non-free software, softwre which is not distributed.
> > However, this argument is not terribly relevant to Launchpad because it
> > is distributed.
> Distributed where?  "launchpad" is Ubuntu's app. It's not distributed.
> It's not _launchpad_ that's being distributed in the app.  It turns out
> that I do still have launchpad-integration installed, but guess what?  The
> license for launchpad-integration is GPL, so I'm right back to the original
> question - what is this nonsense in the gNewSense announcement about
> ripping out the non-free Launchpad?

Some small parts hav been distirbuted under the GPL. Most have not, as it is a
large, "monolithic" [1] application. Those parts which are not distributred
under the GPL, and which is only given to anybody with "all rights reserved"
written in big letters at the top, which are most of it, are not free, and
therefore, Launchpad is not free.

[1] http://launchpad.net/faq