Launchpad - closed source

Andrew Zajac arzajac at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 14:45:18 GMT 2006

On 11/5/06, Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com> wrote:

Free software is free because of the terms by which it is distributed.
 A free licence makes the software free - the licence is between the
author of the software and the person who downloads the application.

Launchpad is not distributed.  No one else runs it but Canonical, so
there is no such licence that comes into play.

The question is whether Canoncal is being a good citizen by not
distributing the code under a GPL-compatible licence even though the
goal is to not have more than one launchpad up and running.