Freespire's Google ads: "What is Ubuntu Missing?"

Andy stude.list at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 5 23:47:15 GMT 2006

On 05/11/06, Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic at dantian.org> wrote:
> You replied off-list, I'd appreciate if you'd keep it on the list. Feel
> free to direct your next reply back to the list, thanks
Sorry, I meant to reply on list, sorry to have sent it to you
personally that was not what I meant to do.

I made the mistake of forgetting which list I was sending to, reply
doesn't seem to work on sounder, my mistake.

> Yeah, and therefore libdvdcss is illegal in most of the world, or at
> least that's the common view, due to the DMCA and a similar law in the
> EU.

I was unaware there was such a law in the E.U., when did that happen?
I must now go kick myself for not paying attention. Maybe I should
voice my disapproval with my MEP.

> > Of course there could be patent and DMCA issues but there are
> > countries where such things do not exist,
>
> Yeah, but at least the US, Japan, and EU have such laws

I didn't think the E.U. had legally enforceable software patents,
although some patent offices may grant patents they shouldn't, its not
uncommon, anyone fancy patenting the wheel? :D

Of course I could be wrong, which isn't uncommon.