I tried to upgrade to Edgy

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Wed Nov 1 20:54:22 GMT 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-01 at 12:10 -0800, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> You *are* able to install them, as you have noticed.

Yes, install, but not necessarily upgrade it seems. You explicitly said
in this sub-thread, "It is decidedly odd, and is likely to confuse the
upgrade tool (which attempts to determine whether you're running Ubuntu,
Kubuntu, etc"

I would argue that it is decidedly not odd to have both KDE and Gnome
installed, unless Ubuntu plans to focus on a very narrow user set.

> There is no "lock-down", nor trend thereof.

Sorry, I expressed myself incorrectly. I agree there is no lock-down,
but your choice of words that it is "odd" and "likely" to confuse the
upgrade tool seemed to mean that there is no particular concern to make
this work.

> It's not intended that the upgrades break,

But I still get the feeling there is not a big concern for particular
configs that are deemed "odd" although they are completely within the
rules and from the main repository. (Don't get me wrong, I understand
that machines that were hosed by Automatix and similar will have upgrade
trouble, but this is not such a case.)

>  but there was a claim in this
> thread of that happening, and I think it may be related to this selection of
> packages.  There is, however, no bug report I can find corresponding to it.
> If you are able to reproduce such a problem, a bug report would be much more
> welcome than this kind of commentary.

Sorry, I can't since I was not hit by this issue. I just found it odd to
call some valid configs odd and wanted to underscore that there are very
valid reasons to run such configs.
You now say "may be related" which has a very different ring to it than
"likely"