I tried to upgrade to Edgy

Matthew Kuiken matt.kuiken at verizon.net
Wed Nov 1 15:43:13 GMT 2006

Scott wrote:
> Jonathan Carter spake thusly on 10/30/2006 03:57 AM:
>>> Actually, shipit isn't shipping Edgy, which is why I tried 19 hours
>>> (actually took 41, but you expect a modem download to be considerately
>>> lower than the 56K max)
>> Unfortunately, even if you could get an Edgy CD from Shipit, you
>> wouldn't be able to upgrade from it, since it's the Live CD + Live CD
>> installer disc.
>
> Actually you can. Just pop that bad boy in your optical drive and (if
> you're not prompted graphically already) open a terminal and..
>
> $ sudo apt-cdrom.
>
> After that apt will now recognize that CD and the packages therein as a
> source for packages. The fact that it's also a live CD doesn't matter.
> The packages are still there.
>
> Even so. I still say one should just bite the bullet back up needed
> files from "~" and start anew.

The point is that there are very few packages on the desktop CD.
Anything that is installed by default when you are in the live session
has been put into the compressed filesystem.  They do not exist as
packages on the CD, thus they are not useful for upgrading.  Ubiquity
just copies these files from their live CD locations to the hard drive
during an install.  It is not installing packages.

You will end up downloading almost the same amount upgrading from the
internet directly as you would if you upgrade using the packages on the
desktop CD.

-Matt