I tried to upgrade to Edgy

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Wed Nov 1 14:14:22 GMT 2006

On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 08:03:26AM +0000, Matthew East wrote:
> * Daniel Robitaille:

> >> It is decidedly odd, and is likely to confuse the upgrade tool (which
> >> attempts to determine whether you're running Ubuntu, Kubuntu, etc.).
> >
> > in a multi-user environment I'm not sure it is so odd
> > to be able to give the option for users to use whatever desktop
> > environment they want independent of what other users on that machine
> > use.
>
> +1. Again, when considering what upgrade paths to support, we should be
> looking at what users do, rather than necessary what seems odd. Loads of
> users run more than one desktop.

Would it surprise you to find that you were a member of a tiny minority of
users who experiment this way?  Most users use the desktop they are given.

> > I have always expected Ubuntu (at large) to be able to deal with
> > multiple *-desktop meta packages installed.  If it is something frown
> > upon for technical reasons then make them conflicting with each other.
>
> Spot on.

I see no reason to make this impossible, though it could quite easily become
so on its own.  It's entirely reasonable to expect that dependencies of
these metapackages could conflict with one another in the future.

--
 - mdz