I tried to upgrade to Edgy

Eamonn Sullivan eamonn.sullivan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 08:57:08 GMT 2006

On 10/31/06, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 02:19:56PM -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
> > Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> > > From the sound of it, your friend had an odd selection of packages
> > > installed (both ubuntu-desktop and xubuntu-desktop?).
> >
> > There's nothing either wrong or odd about that.
>
> It is decidedly odd, and is likely to confuse the upgrade tool (which
> attempts to determine whether you're running Ubuntu, Kubuntu, etc.).

I would respectively disagree. I do have ubuntu-desktop and
kubuntu-desktop installed on both our Linux PCs in the house, to give
the kids a chance to try both Gnome and KDE. (They've overwhelmingly
chosen Gnome, so will probably give up on that experiment soon.)

I *didn't* have any major problems upgrading (I used update-manager),
but I could see how some of the minor problems I did have would stump
a new user. I'm just used to them because I've been through every
upgrade from Warty on. It amazes me that it works as well as it does,
given the complexity.

-Eamonn