The, "Edgy in the news" thread

Cybe R. Wizard cybe_r_wizard at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 1 04:22:38 GMT 2006

Jeff Waugh <jdub at perkypants.org>  said:
> <quote who="Cybe R. Wizard">
>
> > Does anyone else find it ironic that this thread is being pursued on
> > Sounder?
> > Wouldn't the information involved get (and deserve) better
> > distribution on the, "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general
> > discussions," list?
>
> sounder is for chit-chat and discussions, ubuntu-users is for
> technical support. The traffic on ubuntu-users is already so great,
> that it makes sense to use the lists as originally intended. It's
> also more clear for people considering which list to subscribe to --
> for instance, I'm not wildly interested in technical support issues,
> but am interested in the random pranks and amusements here on sounder.
>
> - Jeff

That makes complete and perfect sense and would continue to hold true
had the discussion continued to relate only to Ubuntu in the news.  It
has morphed, though, into a discussion about the hows and wherefores of
why and when to dist-upgrade.  If that ain't technical I don't
recognize the term.
I, like you, enjoy the 'taste' of the Sounder list and don't really
mind seeing tech discussions here but, in keeping with the decrees of
those who matter, once the thread drifts /into/ the technical realm,
shouldn't we point it to the other list?
Really, I'm not trying to make trouble here.  It is just interesting to
me that, since 'user discussion' is forbi...discouraged on the other
list, tech talk has increased /here/.
More and more the whole idea of the list division seems contrary to the
whole 'humanity toward others' philosophy.  People talk.  They talk
about danged near anything.  They (at least here in the US) tend to
over-talk those specific things they are told not to talk about.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
When you say, "I do," you did, you're done.
	The Philosophical Suzie