interesting article, for all those who think Ubuntu is already easy

Scott James Remnant scott at ubuntu.com
Tue May 30 19:49:54 BST 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-30 at 13:46 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:

> Very funny.  It would still be a lot simpler if you'd explain _why_ udev
> shouldn't do this.  Despite Matt's equally dismissive message - it's not
> even true that it _doesn't_.  udev is entirely capable of assigning names,
> and does routinely (my Palm - by default - becomes /dev/pilot, and only
> udev is involved in that).

Because nobody should care what the device node in /dev is called --
it's a session thing, and changes each time you plug in the device.

The desktop translates the connected device list into a useful set of
icons and selections for the users, named appropriately (e.g. "NEC
DVD-ROM") etc.

btw, incidentally, the /dev/pilot thing doesn't work most of the time --
it links to ttyUSB0 when it should link to ttyUSB1, and there's no way
to do that with udev

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant