interesting article, for all those who think Ubuntu is already easy

Scott James Remnant scott at ubuntu.com
Tue May 30 09:50:42 BST 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 21:50 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> On Friday 26 May 2006 14:44, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-05-25 at 13:44 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > > udev is under heavy development and things are changing fast -
> > > it's now at the stage where hotplug can be dispensed with. But
> > > you still need to edit /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules by hand.
> > > The day will come soon when the OS will respond to a udev event
> > > by popping up a dialogue saying "This is a new drive you have
> > > never used on this machine before. What would you like to call it
> > > in future?" It's just not really for that yet.
> >
> > No it won't, because nobody cares what the device node of a drive
> > is called.
> >
> You misunderstand me. Michael's question was on device nodes pointing
> to apparently random devices depending on whether his USB drive is
> plugged or not.
>
> I replied that udev fixes this. When the kernel sends a udev event,
> the OS is in a position to note that this is a drive never used on
> this machine before an ask the user what to call the *drive* in
> future, giving the user persistent repeatable names to different
> drives. The udev framework to do this is there. The userland tools to
> respond are not there - that's the day that will come soon. Meanwhile
> he can edit his rules files by hand.

No, you misunderstand me; this is exactly what I was talking about and
it's not going to happen in a million years.

(Note: dpkg -s udev | grep Maintainer)

Nobody should care what /dev/sdXY a device gets, that's a temporary name
assigned for that session only -- use persistent names such
as /dev/disk/* or use the desktop software which translates device
information into useful descriptions and icons.

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant
scott at canonical.com