libdvdcss

Jerry Haltom wasabi at larvalstage.net
Mon May 29 03:41:41 BST 2006

Refer to the DVD-CCA. http://www.dvdcca.org/ They distribute licenses to
use their PATENTS, COPYRIGHTS and TRADE SECRETS in the US and other
countries. There is nothing public domain about this.

The US at least, and the DMCA specifically, prevents people from
distributing technology that decrypts DVDs. If no other country prevents
people from doing this, at least the US does, and Canonical must operate
in the US. But I doubt that is the case. There some some countries that
have more draconian laws than US.

All that stuff about DVD drives outputting analog copies, that was BS.
There is no such thing. There is only a digital connection from your DVD
drive to your PC. IDE or SATA.

CD-ROM drives used to have an analog cable running to a line input on
the sound card. That has mostly been discontinued... most OSs play the
CD by extracting the digital representation of the music and copying it
to the sound card in software.