TwinView discussion

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Sun May 28 11:37:08 BST 2006

On Saturday 27 May 2006 19:14, Shawn McMahon wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-05-27 at 14:43 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > We don't have to document much. Only:
> >
> > - that nvidia's code exists
> > - how to get it
>
> Ok, we agreed this was valuable information for our users, but some
> took the position that it'd be too hard to write.  Now it turns out
> we have it, and we can't even agree to put a line in the existing
> documentation saying "man nvidia-xconfig"?
>
> I'm really confused here.  I would think mentioning this would be a
> win-win for us; we get less spurious "TwinView doesn't work" and
> "documentation on Xinerama not complete" bug reports, our users get
> ease of use.  What am I missing here?

Looking at your post 3 levels up, I don't think you're missing
anything at all.

nVidia provide a driver of their own, and presumably they also provide
documentation - man pages and links on their web site. All the
community needs do is describe how to get nVidia's stuff and how to
read their docs. Community members will post their experiences on the
wiki and other places, they do this not because they have to but
because they want to. How does this differ from any other Free
software? Well, it doesn't differ in any meaningful way.

Matthew seems to be the one confused here with his comment about code
that we can't support. We don't need the source to be able to tell
users how to use an app.

--
If only me, you and dead people understand hex,
how many people understand hex?

Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za