DMA

Robert Spanjaard spamtrap at arumes.com
Thu May 25 21:31:10 BST 2006

On Thu, 25 May 2006 12:57:30 -0700, Scott wrote:

>> Note that these are two different answers. Coding isn't my main
>> motivation (wanting to get away from Windows before the launch of Vista
>> is), but I do want to do some programming.
>
> I'm actually looking forward to Vista.
>
> To paraphrase Theo de Raadt of OpenBSD, I use Linux because I live *nixx

I'm trying to keep my 2GB-system running without a swapfile. In Windows,
disabling the swapfile is the biggest performance-upgrade possible,
because it's used quite extensively even if you have more than a GB of
free memory left.

As Vista seems to eat even more memory than XP, I'm looking for
alternatives.

> and not because I hate Microsoft as alot of the Linux community seems to

I don't hate Microsoft; I had enough of system-wars in my MSX/Amiga days.
I happen to have owned both, but competition between MSX and Amiga was a
lot more fierce than between Linux and Microsoft nowadays. :-)

--
Regards, Robert                                      http://www.arumes.com