making Ubuntu easy

Robert Spanjaard spamtrap at arumes.com
Thu May 25 13:32:27 BST 2006

On Thu, 25 May 2006 19:41:03 +0800, Michael T. Richter wrote:

>> (Not to mention my cheap self, who refuses to buy a new laptop, and so
>> just expects Ubuntu power management to work as well on 1999-vintage
>> BIOS as Windows did, but is still sufficiently FLOSS-motivated to refuse
>> to reboot W, despite the problems under U. Yes, bugs have been filed.)
>

> What is the problem with power management and Linux anyway?  My laptop's
> batteries can't be seen, for example, and the system is always firing on
> all cylinders sucking power like....  OK.  I'll stop with the simile
> here this time.
>
> Basically I'm asking how to get this to work right.

Same problem here with the 6.06 beta, but I won't complain until I've
tested the stable version running from my harddisk. Currently, the Live-CD
burns up my battery about twice as fast as XP.

(On my previous notebook, which had Windows ME and SuSE 8.1 installed,
SuSE used to squeeze about 15% more power from the battery.)

--
Regards, Robert                                      http://www.arumes.com