Making computers work

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Thu May 25 11:22:34 BST 2006

On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 05:24:24PM +1000, Alexander Jacob Tsykin wrote:

> because no matter how well it is fixed, it will still not work 100% of the
> time, that is the nature of computers, an if something doesn't work, then it
> would be nice for it to be fixable relatively easily

That's possibly the problem - the assumption that computers can't be
made to work properly. It's fundamentally wrong, and it holds back
development.

Computers behave deterministically[1]. Software behaves
deterministically. The combination of these two things lets us produce
software that works 100% of the time. That's harder than getting to 99%
of the time, but even so accepting the "Make it work 99% of the time and
add a bunch of preferences to let the 1% make it work themselves"
approach is accepting inferior software. We aim high, and we fairly
consistently hit. And that's how it should be.

[1] While some hardware has bugs, very (very) few of those bugs behave
randomly.
Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org