interesting article, for all those who think Ubuntu is already easy

Scott James Remnant scott at ubuntu.com
Thu May 25 08:54:21 BST 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-25 at 10:41 +0800, Michael T. Richter wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-25-05 at 01:50 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > (c) We could just *fix the damned problem* in such a way that the
> > checkbox is entirely pointless.
>
> You could, yes.  But it's not likely that it will be fixed soon nor
> for every situation when the fix does come in.  Sometimes you need to
> have an override for the idiot box's assumptions.

BZZZZZT.  Sorry, wrong guess.  Would you like to try for Double Jeopardy
where the scores can _really_ change?

Actually this bug _has_ been fixed; in dapper, DMA is enabled by default
for every drive and controller that we know won't let the magic smoke
escape.

For those verrry few drives that it isn't enabled, I do NOT think we
should be giving people an option to break their machine.

If it's not working for you, then can you let us know what the bug# you
filed when you first noticed was?

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant