making Ubuntu easy

Chanchao custom at freenet.de
Thu May 25 04:59:27 BST 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-24 at 19:12 -0400, Lee Revell wrote:

> > > Already solved for Flash + Firefox.
> >
> > How so?
> >

> If you visit a Flash page in Firefox but Flash is not installed you will
> be prompted to install the plugin.

...which then fails. :)  (Tried this as of yesterday with an up-to-date
Dapper install).   But anyway, everyone knows this is an issue and I
think work is going on.   Even if it didn't install the plugin from
within the browser but linked through Synaptic then that would be fine,
too.

An issue could be that you currently need to run Synaptic (i.e. sudo
privileges) to install the flash plugin.. This is different from other
Firefox plugins which just goes into the user's Firefox' plugins folder,
so no sudo rights required.   I can imagine this issue makes it a bit
tricky.

Cheers,
Chanchao