most important piece of FLOSS

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Thu May 25 00:47:56 BST 2006

On Thursday 25 May 2006 00:42, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 05:36:15PM -0500, thephotoman wrote:
> > I think somebody said something about glibc, which is needed for
> > both Linux and GCC, making it most important in my book.
>
> gcc doesn't depend on glibc.

I made the original comment about glibc, and Synaptic on my box says
that gcc does depend on libc6. Where I come from glibc IS libc6, it
might be different on Ubuntu, being a binary distro that ships
without a compiler and all.

But technically you are correct - gcc requires a Standard C Library
and that doesn't have to be the FSF's offering. So, how many Free
Standard C Libraries are there that are realistically usable with
gcc?

--
If only me, you and dead people understand hex,
how many people understand hex?

Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za