interesting article, for all those who think Ubuntu is already easy

Robert Spanjaard spamtrap at arumes.com
Wed May 24 19:58:57 BST 2006

On Wed, 24 May 2006 18:15:06 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:

>> Still, clicking a checkbox is easier (and more typing-error-proof) than
>> editing a file. Not just for users, but for admins too. Let go of your
>> "GUI is for users only"-mindset.
>
> No, it's not. Following a set of step-by-step instructions is
> approximately equivalently easy regardless of whether they're asking you
> to click a box or replace a 0 with a 1.

I don't think you've met the average user yet. Following steps on how to
change the DMA-setting in a CLI is _not_ as easy as (un)checking a box in
a GUI.

> Having a checkbox just encourages people to uncheck it and then wonder
> why stuff has broken.

Only if you don't inform them about the consequences of their action,
which would be your fault, not theirs.

>> If the user needs to read something you might as well require them to
>> do some extra work? Learn to use the CLI, find out which device they
>> need to change, and _then_ edit the textfile? Where's the logic in
>> that?
>
> Where did I suggest that?

>>> and if they're going to do that you might as well teach them
>>> how to edit a file.

There. The part you just cut out.

>>> The problem is this: "Enable DMA" is not something that makes people
>>> think "Make my DVDs work properly". Even if you write it in a tooltip
>>> - are people supposed to read every single tooltip in the
>>> distribution in an attempt to find that little checkbox?
>>
>> If that's the case, you need to redesign your GUI from scratch.
>
> Right. So, how you propose that this GUI be designed?

In the proposed Media Manager, you could create a window for
partition-options:

| Media Manager - options for [name]                   |
|------------------------------------------------------|
|                                                      |
|  [ ] mount at startup (*1)                           |
|                                         ------       |
|    mount position: ___________________ |Browse| (*2) |
|                                         ------       |
|  [ ] Enable DMA                                      |
|                                                      |
|  ------                             --------   ----  |
| | Help |                           | Cancel | | OK | |
|  ------                             --------   ----  |
|                                                      |

*1 Depending on the type of device/partition, this could be changed
   into "mount when media is inserted".
*2 Grayed out if the first box is unchecked.

As soon as the DMA-checkbox is changed, you can pop-up an "Are You
Sure?"-window which explains the (dis)advantagess and risks of the change.
For experienced users, you can put a "don't show this message next time"
checkbox at the bottom of that window. And Yes/No-buttons, ofcourse.

The actual content of this window can be quite dynamic. Beside the
*1-note, for example, for admin-accounts you could extend the options
with (a button to change) access-rights.

--
Regards, Robert                                      http://www.arumes.com