DMA

Anders Karlsson trudheim at gmail.com
Wed May 24 16:28:59 BST 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-25 at 01:00 +1000, Alexander Jacob Tsykin wrote:
> On Thursday 25 May 2006 00:10, Anders Karlsson wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-05-24 at 22:27 +1000, Alexander Jacob Tsykin wrote:
> > > [snip]
> > > Having DVDs play smoothely is critical functionality for a desktop
> > > machine. If it doesn't work, then there is a major problem.
> >
> > I'd disagree. Playing DVD movies is not 'critical functionality' on any
> > PC. You have DVD players attached to TV's for that. Playing DVD's on
> > your PC is a 'nice to have'.
> >
> I regard it as critical functionality. I think many others do too. Certainly
> almost everbody I know would immediately discount any OS which does not give
> them the option to play DVD videos.

I hear what you are saying.

However, many might not be a majority. I have lots of computer literate
friends, and none of them that use their PC's to play movies regard it
as critical. If they could not rip a DVD, or could not play the movie
from hard disk, they'd be more upset.

All of them would be seriously upset if they could not write code or if
network connectivity would be impaired on their systems. So I guess I
should modify the definition of 'critical functionality' to 'have to be
working flawlessly based upon if you want to be productive or if you
want to fritter time away'.

I'd hazard a guess that younger people are more concerned about trivial
stuff like 'does it play movies smoothly' rather than 'can it run Xen'
or 'can I administer the servers on the network with this'. It should be
fairly obvious that I'm in the old-fogey camp that think the latter
stuff is more important.

Regards,

--
Anders Karlsson <trudheim at gmail.com>