most important piece of FLOSS

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Wed May 24 13:55:40 BST 2006

On Wednesday 24 May 2006 11:54, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> Hi,
> There's someone who mentioned that 'GCC' is the most improtant
> piece of software that was ever written. Many would argue that it's
> 'Linux'. What do you think? Or which do you simply admire?

No one piece of software is more important than any other, the
important bits all work in unison to deliver a system. It's the
complete system that's important, not the individual parts.

gcc is a Free compiler, but you can still build a completely Free
system using a non-Free compiler. So gcc isn't 100% necessary.

Nothing will run without ld - kinda important at run time.

A kernel is a must-have, but it doesn't have to be Linux. If Linus
never started his project, we'd probably be using BSD kernels. Or the
Hurd (yeah, right...)

And all of those rely on glibc - you can't compile gcc without it. If
any piece of software is more important, it's probably this one.

--
If only me, you and dead people understand hex,
how many people understand hex?

Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za