interesting article, for all those who think Ubuntu is already easy

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Wed May 24 13:17:52 BST 2006

On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 10:11:56PM +1000, Alexander Jacob Tsykin wrote:

> Is there some reason why you can't make it easy to configure in teh event that
> it is necessary adn "just work" at teh same time? It does nto seem to me that
> it should be an either/or proposal

No, because you're assuming that configuration options have no cost.
They don't. If you have 30 configuration options and never need to
touch 25 of them, how likely are you to find the other 5 that you /do/
need to touch?

The answer to "I don't have DMA on my drive" is not "Add a checkbox".
It's "Figure out why you don't have DMA on your drive, and then fix
that". Have you filed a bug? If not, could you please do so against
linux-source-2.6.15 with the chipset of your IDE controller and the
output of

sudo hdparm -i /dev/cdrom

?

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org