The Pussycat Dolls and Ubuntu

Jeff Waugh jeff.waugh at ubuntu.com
Sun May 21 06:26:46 BST 2006

<quote who="Jenda Vancura">

> Fortunately for them, I think the Free Software world is very tolerant in
> terms of intellectual property...

'Intellectual property' is a bad phrase to use, because it covers way too
many very different things, such as patents, trademarks, copyright, trade
secret, etc.

So, the Free Software world is *not* tolerant of abuse when it comes to
copyright - if it were, we would not be able to enforce our copyright
licenses (the GPL, and pretty much every other source code license we use
today).

Similarly, Canonical has a trademark on the Ubuntu logo and device, because
the brand is incredibly important to our project. We must be able to make
sure that our users (now and in the future) can trust the Ubuntu brand, and
not be cheated or distracted by impostors. ;-)

So unfortunately for them, we will be asking them to remove it. :-)

- Jeff

--
GUADEC 2006: Vilanova i la Geltrú, Spain            http://2006.guadec.org/

     "Love's such an old fashioned word." - Queen & David Bowie, Under
                                 Presssure