More Sun news: Sun promises to open-source Java

David Hart ubuntu at tonix.org
Sat May 20 03:53:25 BST 2006

On Sat, May 20, 2006 at 08:36:54AM +1000, Alexander Jacob Tsykin wrote:
> On Friday 19 May 2006 23:58, David Hart wrote:
> > >
> > > not nearly as good, it doesn't work on an ipod
> >
> > That's not a problem with ogg, it's a problem with the ipod.
> As an end user, I want it to work, and I don't really care why it doesn't.

Ogg not only works, it works very well in comparison to other lossy
audio codecs (as I'm sure you know).  Ogg doesn't work on the ipod
not because it couldn't be made to but simply because Apple haven't
implemented it.  I am saddened to hear a fellow FOSS user say they
don't care why.

> For
> me,. ogg is grossly incompatible with what I need. Many would agree with me.

You _need_ an ipod?  You _need_ food, water, clothing, shelter,
sanitation ...

What you seem to be saying is you want an ipod because you want an
ipod therefore ogg vorbis is "not nearly as good" (as mp3).

I want to use FOSS software rather than closed software wherever I
reasonably can.  I want a common music format across all my music
playing devices.  I want to support manufacturers who support open
unencumbered standards.  Mp3 is not nearly as good as ogg vorbis.

> It's not good enough to say "it's not our fault." If you want people to use
> ogg, it needs to do what people want. Nobody will use it otherwise.

There there are plenty of portable devices that can play ogg vorbis.

--
David Hart <ubuntu at tonix.org>