Synaptic : will it still there in Edgy ??

Jan Claeys lists at janc.be
Fri May 19 21:27:58 BST 2006

Op vr, 19-05-2006 te 21:46 +0200, schreef Vincent Trouilliez:
> On Fri, 2006-05-19 at 21:07 +0200, Jan Claeys wrote:
> > Op do, 18-05-2006 te 06:20 +0200, schreef Vincent Trouilliez:
> > > 3) When I ask to remove a package, I would like to bloody REMOVE the
> > > package ! (remove whatever dependencies where pulled when it got
> > > installed).
> >
> > This can break expected functionality of other applications (especially
> > if they were installed after the one you want to uninstall).
>
> Well, I of course assume that the system is clever enough not remove
> programs that are used, that's the most basic functionality you would
> take from granted from any package management program ! I was asking for
> the opposite: remove UNused dependencies automatically, not the used
> ones ;-)

How is it supposed to know which optional dependencies are actually used
(or even only expected to be available)?

And Lee Revell also mentioned the problem with self-compiled programs; I
would add to that: scripts written by the users (e.g. in python or perl
or ruby or ...).

When you look further into it, you'll see almost nothing should be
removed automaticly...  ;-)

--
Jan Claeys