article: "How Linux is getting very close to mass adoption"

Randy Gloden sounder at microbabble.com
Fri May 19 16:35:45 BST 2006

Bottom line of article:  For mass adoption, "everything" or at least
"much more" should work out of the box.

Getting everything to be detected/properly configured right from the
get-go isn't going to happen anytime soon.  Getting the most popular
devices should be (and probably is) the focus of these efforts.  Some
systems I try work top to bottom.  Other computers, like my Compaq
Presario 061 need some tweaking to get them to be workable at all.  On
this particular machine, I have to disable ACPI or else I'm in for a 10
min boot.  For me, this is easy enough.  For a beginner, as for this
Author, it is the straw that sends them back to XP.

We are getting there, we are just not there yet.

www.microbabble.com