[ubuntu-marketing] Sun supports Ubuntu

Chanchao custom at freenet.de
Thu May 18 11:53:10 BST 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 12:17 +0200, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> > firstly Ubuntu is already a major distribution, and arguably
> > the most major considering it has the most users according to most polls.
>
> Totally non-scientific polls that have an extremely thin audience profile
> even within the community. There is no sure-fire way to judge our install
> base right now,

Why not, actually?  Why not ask users to register with a very minimum of
information (perhaps not even their name, but country or region would be
useful, or just grab the timezone info or IP address :)   Optionally,
with every dist-upgrade you can send something so you know that they're
still using it.

Or assign a unique code to every Ubuntu installation and use this when
people hit the repositories.. Or use their MAC address.. If apt /
Synaptic don't already offer this then it should be easy to add?

Failing that, check unique IP's that hit the repositories or the
documentation / wiki site or both.  That won't give you a number
accurate to the last digit, but it will give you a very good indication.
(And from the IP's you can see where people are from roughly)

Cheers,
Chanchao