Better Ubuntu through better shipit ?

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Wed May 17 12:23:19 BST 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 08:39 +0200, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
[...]
> So since most of the money comes from the shipping charges, and most of
> the shipping charges comes from the many individual envelopes sent to
> private individuals, which will forever increase as Ubuntu and Linux
> popularity in general, grows, I was wondering if the shipit people could
> evaluate how much money could be saved by "centralising" things a bit.
[...]

If you mean by "decentralising", this has been discussed many times.
Find the answer here:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/loco-contacts/2005-October/000156.html

The numbers may have changed since then, given that changes have been
made to shipit, so if anyone has any concrete proposals with numbers
that they can offer, then they should probably contact Jane (the author
of that post) privately, to discuss it.

Matt
mdke at ubuntu.com
gnupg pub 1024D/0E6B06FF