Ubuntu Census Survey

Andreas Lloyd lloydinho at gmail.com
Tue May 16 11:37:51 BST 2006

To all users and developers of Ubuntu,

To begin my announced anthropological fieldwork in the Ubuntu
community [1], I have constructed a questionnaire to gather basic and
relatively valid statistics on the community as whole. I call it a
census survey since there's no official register of people
contributing to Ubuntu [2]. In spite of the name, the survey will not
be used to keep track of individuals and their contributions to
Ubuntu. Instead, the objective is to examine statistically the
membership of the Ubuntu community:

- - Who are joining the Ubuntu community and for what reasons.
- - How they use computers in general.
- - How is their relationship to the F/OSS world in general.

I hope that as many members of the Ubuntu community as possible will
find the time to fill out the questionnaire - this data will help give
an overview of where the Ubuntu community is now, and hopefully make it
clearer where it is going.

The questionnaire consists of 5 sections and a total of 65 questions
(excluding the comment fields). It should take around 15 minutes to
complete, depending on your level of involvement in the F/OSS world, and
the number of comments that you find you want to add while filling out
the questionnaire.

You can find the Survey Questionnaire here:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=855442126391

All of the survey data I receive will be anonymized. Your name will
only be used to file the questionnaire. Your privacy will be protected
as according to usual anthropological practice [3].

I plan to have this data collected and analyzed to present the results
to you at the Ubuntu Developers' Summit in Paris in June, and I will
of course make the relevant results available on-line afterwards.

Feel free to send me any questions or comments that you might have
regarding this survey or my fieldwork in general.

Thank you very much for your help!

Andreas Lloyd
- -
https://launchpad.net/people/lloydinho

PS: Sorry for cross-posting - this is a necessary evil to reach as much
of the Ubuntu community as possible, as the -announce mailing-lists are
reserved for announcements critical to the entire community.

[1]: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/sounder/2006-April/006113.html
[2]: At the moment of writing, there are 1270 Launchpad members who have
signed the Code of Conduct, thus qualifying for the Ubuntero badge. But
there is most certainly many other Ubuntu users and participants who
haven't signed the Code of Conduct, or who simply don't use Launchpad.
[3]: http://ethics.iit.edu/codes/coe/aanta-1998.html