Status of the Firefox memory leak?

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Mon May 15 14:47:29 BST 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-12 at 22:27 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> If you disable the flash plugin, does it leak at the same rate?

No, I've been running for days and have yet to trigger the massive leak.

But, the Web is *unusable* these days without the damn thing!  Every
other site I go to has Flash ads, which I really don't miss, but it
seems to be the de facto standard for Web video these days.  (I've even
heard Windows users complain about a site that "uses some proprietary
video format, and why don't they just use Flash!" - ugh)

Of course Flash video on Linux doesn't really work if you do have the
plugin installed - the A/V sync is TERRIBLE and Macromedia does not seem
to be interested in fixing it.

This is a really big problem for the Linux desktop, and unless we can
beat some sense into Macromedia I don't see a solution, other than the
reverse engineered GPL flash player and that project does not seem to be
thriving.

Lee