Status of the Firefox memory leak?

Cybe R. Wizard cybe_r_wizard at earthlink.net
Fri May 12 22:07:53 BST 2006

In the Great Book it has Been Written that on Fri, 12 May 2006 13:26:29
-0700 "Daniel Robitaille" <robitaille at gmail.com> didst appear within my
Magick Viewing Screen and, being somewhat pleasantly supplicatory, did
polemicize thusly:

> On 5/12/06, Lee Revell <rlrevell at joe-job.com> wrote:
[...]
> > Seems to leak about 1GB per day.  It would be quite bad if this
> > were not resolved for the Dapper release!
> >
> > Lee
>
> a google search turns out quite a few things.  For examples:
>
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Reducing_memory_usage_(Firefox)
> http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/ben/archives/009749.html
> http://www.squarefree.com/2006/02/04/memory-leak-progress/
>
> It doesn't seem to be a Dapper-specific, but a problem in general with
> the Firefox 1.5 series, combined with leaks when using gmail, specific
> plugins, etc.
>
> At a personal level, I have had some success of keeping my FF ram
> usage low by keeping my number of extensions small,  and disabling
> that  browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers setting, and restarting
> Firefox at least once daily.   That seems to have decreased the number
> of time I have seen Firefox really start leaking memory suddently;
> something really annoying on my 256mb laptop.
>
> I have also played recently using Epiphany and using once again  Opera
> (Opera was my main browser in the Opera 5 era).  In both case, they
> seems to use less memory than Firefox to start with and  I haven't
> seen any sudden and  major leak yet.

Reading this I am /so/ glad I use Opera.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Press 'START' to stop
	Winduhs