Rhythmbox Sharing

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Fri May 12 21:32:51 BST 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-12 at 16:13 -0400, Lukas Sabota wrote:
> Rhythmbox has a tab for "Sharing".  What does this even do?  Is this
> even functional?  It might be working, I just don't know how to use it.
> Whatever it is, it's not clear on what it does.

I suspect it has to do do with this "avahi" thing, which allows
computers on a local network, to share services, printers, and I think,
music. So I guess this "Sharing" setting in RB allows you to make your
music "public", ie available/discoverable by the other computers on the
network, and under what name this "service" will be visible.

So I guess if your computer is alone in your house, this "Sharing"
feature is not of any use.
But if at work, maybe this would allow your boss to discover what music
you like to listen to during your breaks ;-)

--
Vince