Edgy on DVD only ?

Cefiar cef at optus.net
Fri May 12 03:05:43 BST 2006

On Friday 12 May 2006 10:32, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-05-12 at 08:10 +0800, Jerome Gotangco wrote:
> > Why limit on DVDs when you can release multiple CDs just in case there
> > is a need?
>
> Because I thought that they made a strong point to supply the distro on
> a single disc ? So I thought, the only way to get more space and still
> fit on a single disc is to... switch from a CD to a DVD ! :-)

I think (IMHO) part of the single disc goal was so that a LiveCD could also be
packaged along with the InstallerCD. Given the work going on with regards to
installing from the LiveCD, this leaves room for a second CD with other stuff
on it.

I could also see the boot setup on the second CD being used for automated or
minimal (server) installs and the like. This means that both CD's will get
used more often, and that both CD's still provide utility in their own right.

Admittedly, this really caters for the "ShipIt" market, and not so much for
the "Download and Burn yourself" market, but that the way the cookie crumbles
I guess.

 Stuart Young - aka Cefiar - cef at optus.net