Edgy on DVD only ?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Thu May 11 18:53:34 BST 2006

Hi,

IIRC, at first, Ubuntu made a point to fit on 650MB CD's, to be
compatible with old CD drives or something. But this was not sustainable
apparently, and soon, all images exceeded this limit. Now I just looked
at the size of the Flight-7 images, and most of them are a split hair
from the 700MB limit, like the Mac LiveCD that's 697MB ! :-O
Phew that was close...

I guess the trend is unlikely to change, so I wonder... does Ubuntu
consider giving up again on old H/W compatibility, and will be forced to
put Edgy on a DVD ?
I don't have a DVD writer... only an old SCSI CD writer.
I spotted a weird CD for sale, that's bigger than 700MB, but 99% of the
offering seems to be 700MB, so probably not a good idea to count on
these rare mega huge CD's.

While I am at it, there is something I never quite understood... on
every install CD, there is a /pics folder containing nothing Debian
artwork/pics. They only add up to 15KB or so, but given the problems
there were to fit on 650MB, and now on 700MB, and given that we don't
even use this artwork in the Ubuntu installer, and given that I thought
Ubuntu aimed at being "neutral", a base that can be easily re-branded by
others, well, I have pulled all my hair trying to understand why these
Debian only files are on the CD ?
There must be a good reason... just can't figure it out...

--
Vince, must plan on buying a DVD writer, need to call my banker first...