Interesting article about "What Linux is doing wrong on the desktop"

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at gmail.com
Mon May 8 07:51:18 BST 2006

On 5/7/06, Scott <listboi at angrykeyboarder.com> wrote:
> On 05/07/2006 09:32 PM, * Anders Karlsson spake thusly:
> > On Sun, 2006-05-07 at 18:12 -0700, Scott wrote:
> >> On 05/02/2006 09:00 PM, * Anders Karlsson spake thusly:
> >> [snip]
> >>
> >> They'll be pretty well-rounded then (or confused) when they get to
> >> school and go to computer lab and learn how to use Windows or a Mac.
> >
> > That depends. Some schools have pretty skilled staff where
> > they run a mixed environment, and yet other schools have
> > decided against using Microsoft completely. Also, a lot can
> > happen in ten years. :)
>
> My ex-girlfriend's son started computer lab in Kindergarten.  They sent
> him and other kids twice a week to a classroom where the computers
> (eMacs) were, hence my remarks. :-)
>
> Oh and his regular teacher was in her 60's and barely knew squat about
> computers.

my 6 year old kindergarden son is using Windows at school;  I know
since he was telling recently that he learned to do ctrl-alt-del and
then type of the username/password written on the sheet of paper taped
beside the keyboard.  I find it kind of sad they have to learn that
key-combo so young...

But at home  him and his 4-year old sister have now mastered  the art
of double-booting between "Windows" (Win98) and "Kid's Linux"
(Edubuntu) and know that some games are only available in one system,
and some in the other, and how  they can logout from one of their
parent's gnome session to get into whatever session/OS they want.

--
Daniel Robitaille