Fwd: "Download & Install" vs "Repositories & Synaptic" and the need for a new URI [Was: Re: Going forward [Re: Automatix?]]

Jason Taylor killerkiwi2005 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 08:40:09 BST 2006

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jason Taylor <killerkiwi2005 at gmail.com>
Date: Mar 31, 2006 7:39 PM
Subject: Re: "Download & Install" vs "Repositories & Synaptic" and the
need for a new URI [Was: Re: Going forward [Re: Automatix?]]
To: mdke at ubuntu.com

> Try gnome-app-install. You can open it from Applications ->
> Add/Remove... It addresses steps one and two at the same time.
Nothing wrong with it its a great application, but it still takes a
several steps from seeing an application mentioned online to actully
installing it

- Webpage - You should try Epiphany its much better than FF
- User clicks "applications menu"
- User clicks 'add applications'
- User enters sudo password clicks ok
- Enters name in search field clicks search
- Selects package
- Clicks Apply
- Click Apply again

Assuming they can spell epiphany correctly first time and the
application they are after is in gnome-app-install (ie supertux)

This
> harping on about helping users to install things from their web browser,
> while well-meaning, is totally missing the point, in my view. Usability
> efforts should be concentrated on showing users the simplest way to find
> and install software: this _is_ through repositories, because it is
> inherently simple and secure.
We're not talking about replacing repos just making it easier to
install from the repos when given a referance to an
application/package online