Opinion on Vista and Dapper delays

Murray Cumming murrayc at murrayc.com
Thu Mar 30 09:28:28 BST 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-30 at 13:35 +0700, Chanchao wrote:
> I sometimes think Canonical should/could do hardware too, like a quality
> looking pc or laptop in Ubuntu colors with Ubuntu pre-installed: But
> never mind about actual production & support issues & challenges, just
> HAVING one on offer (no matter how long the waiting list) would reflect
> good on Ubuntu as a brand.  If it looks attractive, this attractiveness
> will also reflect upon the OS, "which, by the way, is available as a
> free download for YOUR computer."  Apple cant say that about OS-X. :)

It looks like Ubuntu tried to get this working with HP. And they seem to
have been so close, but HP messed up yet again, and you still can't buy
an Ubuntu-loaded HP laptop in most markets.

I'd buy an Ubuntu-branded laptop. I'd pay extra for it. I want to be
that cool. There's money to be made here by some company that
a) Sells non-branded laptops (such as the ones that become Acer, Asus,
or Siemens laptops here in Germany)
b) Doesn't already have a big market in Windows laptops, so has nothing
to fear from Microsoft.
c) Can make a branding deal with Ubuntu/Canonical.
d) Is small enough to get this done.

It's no good waiting for the big companies like HP to do it.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc at murrayc.com
www.murrayc.com