Filesystem - hiding system folders?

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Wed Mar 29 22:53:49 BST 2006

On Wednesday 29 March 2006 18:28, Colin Watson wrote:
> (FWIW, although you may not care:)

fwiw, I do :-)

> On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 04:11:49PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > /rofs: Dunno
>
> "Read-only filesystem"; this gives you the raw contents of the live
> CD you just booted, without the changes that were made in memory in
> the process of booting and running it. This is used by the live CD
> installer so that it can copy a known, standard image to your hard
> disk, which makes installations from live CDs much easier to
> support.

Ah, so that's what it is. I stand before you... enlightened

> > /sbin: System programs that normally only root uses like fdisk,
> > mkfs*, netstat. Separate from /bin so it can go in root's $PATH
> > but not a user's
>
> It's actually on the $PATH for regular users in Ubuntu too, because
> we got fed up of the million bugs of the form "such-and-such is in
> /sbin but I have a use for it as a regular user", although of
> course you can still take it off your $PATH if you want.

Don't you just hate it when real life stomps all over a perfectly good
idea?

<snip clarifications of other dirs>

You make valid points - thanks. What I posted was mostly for
Chanchao's benefit - he comes across as a Windows refugee who is
trying hard to grok this durn new-fangled Linux thang but is having a
hard time dropping the Windahs POV, so I made it ultra simple

--
Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za