Going forward [Re: Automatix?]

James "Doc" Livingston doclivingston at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 00:05:19 BST 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-30 at 00:49 +1200, john wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 09:49:22AM +0700, Chanchao wrote:
> >  1 Ubuntu simply cannot distribute (support for) anything that is
> >    patented or otherwise not completely Free.
>
> I am not sure why this is is the case. Ubuntu distributes the Nvidia
> drivers which are not "completely Free". What is the argument against e.g.
> realplayer?

I haven't checked the RealPlayer licence, but usually it is due to
conditions on redistribution to third parties.

Ubuntu can build packages of the the NVidia drivers, and distribute them
to people who can distribute them further. Some things (include Java
iirc) can't be redistributed as part of Ubuntu; other things (e.g. the
Fluendo binary MP3 decoder) could be distributed if Canonical signed
with Fluendo, but couldn't be redistributed by third parties.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston (IANAL, IANA Ubuntu Developer, etc)
--
"Don't these people watch Jackie Chan movies? *Everything*'s a weapon!
Next thing, they'll ban ballpoint pens, 'coz you can stab somebody with