apt metadata

Rocco Stanzione grasshopper at linuxkungfu.org
Tue Mar 28 15:40:34 BST 2006

As far as i can tell, apt doesn't provide a way to see the changelog of a
pending update.  This would be very useful information.  On rpm-based systems
(at least the ones I've used) the changelog is part of the package metadata
downloaded with the equivalent of apt-get update.  This made updates slower,
but on stable systems they shouldn't be happening so often as to be a real
problem (again, it never was a problem on the systems I used).

I'm bringing it up here rather than on the -devel list because, well, it seems
like it would require a major overhaul of apt that's obviously not going to
happen for dapper, if at all, but maybe somebody has a better idea for making
package changelogs available pre-update.

Rocco Stanzione