Proposal to get this list back on track

John dingo at coco2.arach.net.au
Mon Mar 27 01:07:58 BST 2006

Sasha Tsykin wrote:
> Derek Broughton wrote:
>
>> Tristan Wibberley wrote:

>>> They don't call that "beer", they call it "export beer"
>>>
>> Well, one of these days I hope to get to Oz and find out what the natives
>> drink :-)
>
> VB (very popular here in Australia) isn't that much better. The beer
> here isn't too great generally. As a side note, I'm ashamed to say but
> there are actually people here who drink fosters for preference
> (needless to say I don't associate with them ;) ).

Of course he does, he's a Victorian.

It used to be a regional thing, Swan and Emu Export (and maybe
Kalgoorlie Stout) in WA, Tooheys (new and old) and Resches in NSW, XXXX
in Qld, Coopers (complete with sediment) in SA, Courage in Tasway,
Carlton and Fosters and VB in Vic.

Then Bond bought Swan (and Kalgoorlie which he shut down), went broke
and sold to the Kiwis, Elliot took over Carlton and tried to Fosterise
the world, nearly went broke in the attempt, a few forigners entered the
market and now one can get almost anything almost anywhere. I don't know
that we're actually better off for the variety though, it all tastes
pretty terrible to me.