education and poverty

Sasha Tsykin stsykin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 14:49:12 BST 2006


Michael Shigorin wrote:
> Oh please don't tell me one needs higher education to plant
> potatoes.  I have, but it doesn't really help, you know.
> 
there are other types of education, but I agree with you here. 
Nevertheless, a basic knowledge of maths would help, I'm sure. Also, not 
everybody can plant potatos, for a society to operate you need people 
undertaking a whole range of occupations, and for many of them education 
is the key.
> And contrary to what many might want to think, being able to
> plant stuff is much more guaranteed fundament for personal more 
> or less future than financial shuffles (what if another power
> plant goes out?  what if another earthquake hits US and few would
> know what to do without mobiles and electicity?)
> 
both are important. Without money you could never buy seed. You would 
also never be able to survive the bad years without some savings.
> Education differs.  Experience differs.  And not everything we
> might learn is useful.
> 
but much of it is, and ultimately, we want to give them optins. We don't 
want africa to continue as the train wreck it currently is (o offense to 
those who live there, there are lovely parts of eh continent, but most 
of it is horrible).
> And poverty by itself isn't a problem (please consider that I
> remember at least 1992 when our family had nothing to eat anymore
> one fine day).  We can survive if we want to, we can't save those
> who don't care to live.  Sorry.
> 
Anybody who says that millions of people dying every day because they 
can't afford aids medication or food isn't wrong is contemptible. There 
was a time, not so long ago, when the world said let Germany kill its 
Jews, its not our problem. I am Jewish, and I feel the need to remind 
everybody that more such disasters have and will happen if people don't 
care. You, because you don't care are deficient as a human being. 
Poverty is most definitely a problem. Also, before people condemn me for 
what I said, I ask them to look into their hearts, do they agree that 
poverty is not a problem? If so, then go ahead, but then this is not the 
community I thought it was.
> I won't help someone who would expect society (or personally me)
> to spoonfeed him for a lifetime.  I try and help those who are in
> trouble exactly now but who *do* try and get up.  At least it
> works.
> 
Whoever said that the Africans (or anybody else who is poor) aren't 
trying to get up? That si blatantly nonsense. Most not oly desperately 
need help, but do their best to improve their lives by themselves, 
because an indifferent world won't do enough.
> Once more: the lack of education != poverty.
> 
you are wrong. It has been demonstrated repeatedly that an increase in 
education decreases poverty. All western countries have a much more 
educated population, and less poverty. Great Britain's citizens became 
wealthier as they gaied an education (including free schools). China's 
population is now getting more knowledgeable, and as a result much 
wealthier. Furthermore, it si indisputable that thsoe who are more 
educated will do better in life. How many people with the salary fo a 
lawyer do you know who didn't finish high school?

I hope that you are greatly offended, because that was my intent.

Sasha



More information about the sounder mailing list